My Name is Melissa and I live in beautiful Nauvoo, IL. This is a blog to record my journey on raw food. I will share with you my first 30 days on raw food, some of my favorite recipes, and some very helpful websites. I am sharing because so many people have asked. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at ctradams@juno.com



My Favorite Raw Salad Dressing
Garlic, Ginger Dressing
1 1/2 c. Cold Pressed Olive Oil
1/3 c. Garlic Bulbs
2 Tbs. Ginger (about a 1-2 in. section depending on thickness)
3 Tbs. Nama Shoyu
1/2 c. Fresh squezed lemon juice

Blend all ingredients in a Vita-Mix or high power blender until smooth. This dressing is VERY yummy!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Being Raw and Social is Possible!

Yesterday, Tom and I went to Iowa City, IA. It is a little less then a 2 hour drive. We were going there to drop of a desk to some friends and to go out to lunch with them. This is a couple I have only met 1 or 2 times. I don't know them very well and they know nothing of me being a raw foodist. I got up early that morning and made a raw homemade salad dressing with the hope that the restuarant we were going to would have a salad.

This would be a true test because I truly did not have control of where we were going to eat. I also did not really feel like getting into a conversation with people I didn't really know about why I eat a certain way.

So we went to a favorite restaurant of theirs. They raved about the diped sandwiches, but I knew I wouldn't be ordering that. When I got the menu I was SO excited to see a large house salad at the top of the menu. It had baby lettuce mix, a few other veggies, crutons, and bacon bits. I ordered it w/out the crutons & bacon bits, and asked them to add black olives (yum). The salad was HUGE and SO yummy! When the waitor asked me what kind of dressing, I said none. To that the woman we were with turned to me and said, "Did you bring your own dressing?" When I said yes, she asked me to try it. It was my Cilantro Dressing. She loved it!

I sat there eating my very delicous and very satisfying salad as I enjoyed the company and the conversation! There were an awesome couple! I left feeling so happy! I had done it. I enjoyed the company, avoided unwanted conversations about food, and stayed 100% raw! It is possible!

Have a Happy Healthy Day!

1 comment:

jennycherie said...

Melissa - this is a really interesting blog. I love that you found a way to do what is right for YOU without making a big deal about it for the whole group. You are great!